Safety Risk Assessment:
IS YOUR LIFE IN DANGER?
THE GREATER THE NUMBER OF INDICATORS BELOW THAT ARE PRESENT, THE GREATER THE LIKELIHOOD OF A LIFE THREATENING ATTACK OR SERIOUS ASSAULT.
CALL 911, ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, ATTORNEY, OR CENTER FOR DOMESTIC PEACE, IF ANY OF THESE INDICATORS ARE PRESENT.
- Has the abuser threatened to kill you, the children, your relatives or him/herself? Prior threats to kill is one of the strongest risk factors consistently linked to homicide.
- Has the abuser expressed ideas, dreams or fantasies about killing you, the children, your relatives or himself? The risk is greater if the abuser is very specific about his plans or intended methods.
- Has there been escalation of the abuser’s violence or risk behavior (often increases prior to attempting homicide) Increases risk of serious assault or homicide.
- Have they made more than one threat? Daily? Monthly?
If I answer yes to any of these, your life may be in danger. Call our hotline now to make a safety plan!
415.924.6616 (English / Linea de apoyo)
- Is there availability of or past use of weapons (guns, knives, etc) Access to a gun or knives is strong indicator of homicide risk.
- Has the abuser ever used their hands or an object to choke, strangle or suffocate you? These are high risk factors for homicide.
- Has the abuser a history of arson or threats of arson? Increases risk of homicide.
- Does the abuser express ownership of you (“You can never leave me”; “If I can’t have you no one else can”; “Death before divorce”)? Risk of serious assault or homicide is higher.
- Does your partner depend heavily on you to organize and sustain their life; idolize you; isolate himself and you from all other aspects of community life? Risk of serious assault or homicide is higher.
- Has there been separation violence? Increases risk of serious assault or homicide.
- Has there been stalking, hostage-taking or abduction? Increases risk of serious assault or homicide.
- Is the abuser acutely depressed, seeing little hope for life? Increases risk of serious assault or homicide.
- Is there frequent use of alcohol or drugs? Excessive, frequent use increases likelihood of serious assault. Increases risk of serious assault or homicide.
If you answer yes to any of these or have questions, call our hotline:
24-Hour Hotline: 415.924.6616 (English / Linea de apoyo)