Planned Giving

The Benefits of Giving to Center for Domestic Peace

Supporters of Center for Domestic Peace have a strong interest in a violence-free tomorrow. Consider a planned gift to achieve your philanthropic goals, and take advantage of many benefits, while helping to secure the work of Center for Domestic Peace.

The term “planned giving” refers to charitable gifts that require some planning before they are made. These gifts are popular because they can provide valuable tax benefits and/or income for life.

You don’t have to be wealthy to make a meaningful planned gift to Center for Domestic Peace, but you can gain potential benefits:

  • Avoid capital gains tax
  • Increase current income for yourself or others
  • Pass assets on to your family at reduced tax cost
  • Support  Center for Domestic Peace for decades to come

Call our Development Department for more information at 415.526.2543.
Our Federal Tax ID is 94-2415856.

Ways to Give

Bequests and Wills

Naming Center for Domestic Peace in your will or revocable living trust is an excellent way to perpetuate your lifetime support of our work. With a bequest to Center for Domestic Peace, you maintain full use and control of your assets during life, while creating a lasting legacy upon your passing.

  • You can make a simple bequest to Center for Domestic Peace for a specific dollar amount or percentage of your estate.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Center for Domestic Peace the sum of _________ dollars ($__________) as an unrestricted gift, to be used at the sole discretion of Center for Domestic Peace.

  • Or, you can make a bequest for specific assets, such as securities, real estate or personal property. Please be as specific as possible in identifying the property.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Center for Domestic Peace my [insert description or identifying information of the asset], to be used and/or disposed of, as the Center determines, in its sole discretion, for its general purposes.

Retirement Plans

Another way to make a gift through your estate is to name Center for Domestic Peace as a beneficiary of a qualified retirement plan account, such as an IRA, 401(k), 403(b), Keogh or similar account. Upon your death, all or a portion of the unused balance in your account is transferred to Center for Domestic Peace as a charitable gift.

Retirement plan assets are among the best assets to use for charitable gifts because if these assets were left to your heirs, they could be taxed at 50% or 60% leaving less than one-half the dollar amount to your heirs.

Life Insurance Policies

A gift of life insurance is an attractive way to support Center for Domestic Peace at a relatively low cost. Naming Center for Domestic Peace as both owner and beneficiary of an existing life insurance policy provides you with an income tax deduction and possible estate tax benefits.

You may wish to retain ownership of your insurance policy and name Center for Domestic Peace as beneficiary only. While giving life insurance in this manner does not provide the same tax benefits, your contribution generously supports Center for Domestic Peace and creates a lasting legacy.

Charitable Trusts

Several types of charitable trusts can be used to further Center for Domestic Peace’s mission. Please consult with a financial advisor for the types and benefits that best suit your philanthropic and financial goals.

Bank Accounts and Securities

Bank accounts or certificates of deposit may be used to provide for charitable interests through what are known as Pay on Death (P.O.D.) or Transfer on Death (T.O.D.) instructions. These accounts can be titled so that whatever remains becomes a gift to charity. Check with your bank officer for details. In most states, brokerage accounts may also be left to heirs or charitable interests through similar provisions.

If you own stocks, mutual funds, or other securities that yield little income but are worth more than you paid for them, you may want to consider using them to make your charitable gifts. Giving securities can result in maximum tax savings with little or no effect on your spendable income.

** As with any important financial decision, you should contact your accountant or attorney for complete information and tax implications.