If you are in a domestic violence situation and need legal help, navigating the legal system can be daunting, especially if you are scared, hurting or overwhelmed. Center for Domestic Peace has compassionate Legal Systems Advocates that can accompany you to civil or criminal court, and provide assistance with obtaining legal services, restraining orders, or other support services.
When you are connected to one of our Advocates, you have a much better chance of succeeding in the legal system and staying safe! Our services are provided free of charge.
Call our 24 hour hotline for information and to make an appointment:
Our Legal Systems Advocates offer:
- Guidance, education, advocacy and accompaniment with the following legal systems: criminal court proceedings, law enforcement, immigration, child protection, domestic violence restraining orders, including those with child custody. Note: assistance with custody is limited to restraining order issues only. Ongoing custody case support is not provided.
- Accompaniment to meetings with District Attorney; criminal hearings where victim has been subpoenaed; sentencing; filing of police reports; law enforcement follow-up investigations; child protection meetings with social workers; restraining order hearings; custody mediation when there is a restraining order involved; etc.
- Notification of case status, hearing dates, plea agreements, and sentencing terms.
- Guidance with immigration relief pertaining to domestic violence, including U Visa, VAWA, and asylum.
- Referrals to domestic violence knowledgeable attorneys.
- Referrals to community resources for other needs.